"Nintendo"('s NSes) are asking my IP for it's rdns

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 13:32:41 UTC 2012

On 24/07/12 14:30, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> Why?  I mean other than a knee-jerk reaction to that behavior not (yet)
> being documented in an RFC somewhere?  I mean for practical purposes why
> is what they are (or rather, could be, assuming my suggestion about what
> they could be doing is correct) doing necessarily bad?

The obvious implication of that behaviour is lots of DNS packets to IPs
around the world that may not be (probably *are* not) running a DNS server.

Based on the numbers coming in and out of my own resolvers (which aren't
even that busy), suffice to say I think that traffic would be at best
problematic, and at worst harmful.

I can think of a bunch of ways this might cause problems, but frankly I
lack the energy to get into a discussion about it. Maybe others are more
interested ;o)

>> DNS is well-specified in the RFCs.
>
> Sure.  So there is no room for expansion?

Absolutely. I look forward to the internet draft ;o)

In all seriousness, I don't dismiss that the behaviour *could* be
useful. I just think that, in general, sending unsolicited requests to
unknown IP addresses, on a well-known protocol/port is sub-optimal.