Query about mirroring Root DNS Server

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Jul 6 10:30:43 UTC 2012

Gaurav Kansal <gaurav.kansal at nic.in> wrote:

> Somewhere I heard that one of the Root Servers allows you to take a zone
> copy of that, so that if you want to look and feel about Root DNS
> servers, you can do so.
>
> Is it true? If yes then can anyone please guide me which Root DNS Server
> is allowing for the same?

You can find out for yourself (see below). I usually use the F root since
I know the ISC has a long-term policy of allowing zone transfers.

Some people like to slave the root zone on their recursive servers instead
of using the root zone hints. This is not the same as looking or feeling
like a root server. If you want to actually look and feel like a root
server, talk to ICANN who are very liberal in allowing sites to host
instances of the L root.
http://blog.icann.org/2012/03/l-root-in-your-pocket/
http://dns.icann.org/lroot/infocollect/

$ for i in `jot -c 13 97`; do echo === $i; dig axfr . @$i.root-servers.net | grep failed; done
=== a
; Transfer failed.
=== b
=== c
=== d
; Transfer failed.
=== e
; Transfer failed.
=== f
=== g
=== h
; Transfer failed.
=== i
; Transfer failed.
=== j
; Transfer failed.
=== k
=== l
; Transfer failed.
=== m
; Transfer failed.

Tony.
Viking: Northeasterly 4 or 5, increasing 6 or 7 later in northwest. Slight or
moderate, becoming rough later in north. Fair. Moderate or good.