Defense against a client?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Jan 17 08:53:19 UTC 2012

On 16.01.12 14:51, Barry Margolin wrote:
>DNS queries don't come directly from clients, they come from caching
>servers, aka resolvers.  Its those caching servers that shouldn't be
>behind NATs.

But clients send DNS queries to those caching servers (or their caching
resolvers) directly, which apparently is what Chuck wanted to say.

If there are more clients behind NAT, you only can block all of them on your
server... you should not block your own clients.

you could of course play with port ranges, we may assume if they are
your clients you could know how the NAT is working...