9.9 query log change

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Mon Jan 16 17:05:13 UTC 2012

> >>15-Jan-2012 18:24:45.358 client 131.111.11.47#58644 (www.playground.test):
> >>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >>query: www.playground.test IN A +E (131.111.9.112)
> >>
> >>the indicated parenthesized item is new, but seems always to be the same
> >>as the later query name. What is it for? If it meant to be the name of the
> >>client it has got it horribly wrong!
> >
> >3199.   [func]          When logging client information, include the name
> >                         being queried. [RT #25944]
>
> I'm confused. The name being queried is already in the line. Why is it
> now in there twice?
>
> Obviously I'm not understanding something...

Sorry, my fault, should have been clearer.

The part that says "client 131.111.11.57#58644 (www.playground.test)" is
boilerplate that appears in all query-related log messages.  It's redundant
in the case of this particular line, but not in the other log messages that
appear if you turn debugging up to its maximum level, such as:

  client 131.111.11.47#58644 (www.playground.test): query 'www.playground.test/A/IN' approved
  client 131.111.11.47#58644 (www.playground.test): send
  client 131.111.11.47#58644 (www.playground.test): sendto
  client 131.111.11.47#58644 (www.playground.test): senddone
  client 131.111.11.47#58644 (www.playground.test): next
  client 131.111.11.47#58644 (www.playground.test): endrequest

It can be hard to pick those apart when you have several queries (or other
tasks) being processed simultaneously in different threads.  Adding the
qname to all of them makes the process a little less opaque.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.