9.9 query log change

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 16 14:13:28 UTC 2012

On Jan 16 2012, Phil Mayers wrote:

>On 01/15/2012 08:11 PM, Evan Hunt wrote:
>>> Looking at some query log output from BIND 9.9.0rc1, e.g.
>>>
>>> 15-Jan-2012 18:24:45.358 client 131.111.11.47#58644 (www.playground.test):
>>>                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> query: www.playground.test IN A +E (131.111.9.112)
>>>
>>> the indicated parenthesized item is new, but seems always to be the same
>>> as the later query name. What is it for? If it meant to be the name of the
>>> client it has got it horribly wrong!
>>
>> 3199.   [func]          When logging client information, include the name
>>                          being queried. [RT #25944]
>
>I'm confused. The name being queried is already in the line. Why is it
>now in there twice?
>
>Obviously I'm not understanding something...

I think Evan is saying that the change applies to all messages in which
the client info appears, not just the query log ones.

But it does look mighty strange in that case. And maybe people will want
the class and type (and even flags) of the query added in the general case,
which would sort of reduce the query log specific info to just "it happened".

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk