recursion and forwarding

Adamiec, Lawrence Ladamiec at kentlaw.edu
Thu Jan 12 18:15:32 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am running one master server and one slave server with BIND 9.6.1-P3.
The global options section on both servers are identical.

In the options section I have,

    allow-recursion { ck_domain; };

    forwarders { 216.47.128.11; 216.47.128.12; 216.47.143.90; };

The ck_domain ACL contains internal IPs only.

The documentation I have read states that forwarders will forward a
client's query if the answer is not in the server's cache and the server
does not know the answer.

So when does recursion occur, before the query is forwarded or never?  I
thought recursion was supposed to go looking for the answers.  If
recursion does not return an answer then does the query get forwarded?

Larry Adamiec

UNIX Mgr.

312-906-5301