variable dig results

David Forrest drf at maplepark.com
Fri Jan 6 16:14:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, M. Meadows wrote:

> Wondering why we get variable results from the following command:    dig eftc.thehartford.com
> (sometimes we get authority section and additional section feedback ... sometimes we don't)

> ;; Query time: 52 msec
> ;; SERVER: 172.25.17.185#53(172.25.17.185) ;; WHEN: Fri Jan  6 00:10:02 2012 ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 202
>

> I assume this is due to differences in response from different auth nameservers. If that's the case ... what does one have set up to return the 2nd response?

As the server wasn't specified, dig tries each of the servers listed in
/etc/resolv.conf and used 172.25.17.185 both times, one with the rd flag
set and got a non-authoritative answer and an authoritative.  I'd assume
there are multiple instances or views and you're getting cached answers
occasionally.  If consistency is needed, maybe specify the server with
@server and/or +[no]recurse

--
David Forrest St. Louis, Missouri