About root zones

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Jan 5 10:18:32 UTC 2012

On 03.01.12 09:37, Barry Margolin wrote:
>Are we talking about the same libresolv?  I'm talking about functions
>like res_query(), which are very DNS-specific.  They return the raw DNS
>reply data, including details like TTL.
>
>gethostbyname() is the function that uses nsswitch.conf.

Yes, I've mistaken those two.

However, it comes to another reason why BIND should not use system
resolver: If someone messes it up (e.g. puts bad entry to /etc/hosts), it
could mess up DNS.

Replicating configuration errors to DNS may also break things.

In fact, it may cause similar problems than Peter Andreev is trying to
avoid.  And it may cause them independantly on the nameserver used.

M$ Win's are shit, do not use it !