AW: MS AD 2008R2 and bind

Melbinger Christian Christian.Melbinger at wienit.at
Tue Jan 3 15:28:53 UTC 2012

>What A records map to those IP addresses listed (10.1.1.1, 10.2.2.2)?
only their own name, nothing more

>Are there any "same as zone" records that point to your DC IPs?  (this is common if  DNS is AD integrated)
yes
internal.wienit.at is a round robbin to all DC IPs
gc._msdcs.internal.wienit.at is also a round robbin to all DC IPs

I don't know if long time ago it was  AD integrated, but in the last few years it certainly was not.

>Do you see in the Event Viewer on the DC that it is successfully registering the A, PTR and SRV records?  (not sure what log this is in, been a little while since I looked last).
yes that's working too, otherwise there would be a lot more errors
I even see every update in the messages log on the dns-server, all working

>I know you said it was the case, but your BIND config has one of the following options set?
> - allow-update { address_match_list }; <-- If the DC is pointing to the master BIND server
> - allow-update-forwarding { address_match_list }; <-- if the DC is pointing to the slave BIND server
updates are working

>What happens if you issue the ipconfig /registerdns command from the DCs?
I think I did that some time ago... the DC kicked all of its own Records and then put them back in...

---
Ing. Christian Melbinger
Netzwerk & Security

WienIT EDV Dienstleistungsgesellschaft mbH & Co KG
A-1030 Wien, Thomas-Klestil-Platz 6
tel: +43 (1) 90405 47188