Configuring a domain slave to look up subdomain hosts- RESOLVED

Mike Bernhardt bernhardt at bart.gov
Wed Feb 29 17:27:20 UTC 2012

Assuming this global configuration:
options {
directory "/var/named";
allow-recursion { any; };
allow-query { any; };
allow-query-cache { any; };
forwarders { 148.165.3.10; }; (our registered DNS in our DMZ)
forward only;
recursive-clients 2000;
zone-statistics yes;
};

Then when doing this:
zone "domain.com" {
type slave;
masters { 10.130.1.30; };
file "db.domain";
forwarders { };
};

The slave follows the global forwarder information (out to the DMZ server
for internet queries) but it doesn't follow the delegation for
subdomain.domain.com. Instead, it forwards the subdomain queries to the
master.

When doing this:
zone "domain.com" {
type slave;
masters { 10.130.1.30; };
file "db.domain";
};

The slave follows the global forwarder information and EVERYTHING is
forwarded to the DMZ server.

But, when doing this:
zone "domain.com" {
type slave;
masters { 10.130.1.30; };
file "db.domain";
forwarders { /*empty */ };
};

It works exactly as I intended- no stub zone needed. The delegation
information is used and everything is resolved correctly both for the
subdomain and for internet queries.

Thanks!