Assistance with SPF Records for BIND

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Mon Feb 20 11:12:20 UTC 2012

On 20/02/12 3:00, Noel Butler wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 17:00 +0100, ml wrote:
>
>> fakessh.eu descriptive text "spf2.0/pra ip4:46.105.34.177
>> ip4:91.121.7.86 ?all"
>

>> fakessh.eu descriptive text "v=spf1  ip4:46.105.34.177 ip4:91.121.7.86
>> ?all"
>>

> Why did you bother with the record at all?
> "Question mark"  indicates you don't care and the remote should
> bascially ignore it.
> Waste of time, please do some homework before making such foolish
> recommendations

Just my point. SPF is a "message" from the sender of mail to the
receiver of mail, describing which senders(hosts, networks) are allowed
to expedite mail for the sender. The message is delivered via DNS.

It is up to the sender to make the rules and nobody can do that for you,
of course it may be good to get inspiration from others. E.g. if you
know that ALL valid mail will be sent from ONE server, you can describe
that, if valid mail can be sent from ANY host, that can be described as
well. This information is meant to be used to evaluate whether a mail
from you is valid or more likely spam. Only you know what the contents
should be.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen