How to validate DNSSEC signed record with dig?

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Sun Feb 5 20:35:03 UTC 2012

> I am trying to validate DNSSEC signature on ns record using dig.
> Domain nox.su is properly signed using DNSSEC.
> I am trying to validate it as dicribed here:
> http://bryars.eu/2010/08/validating-and-exploring-dnssec-with-dig/
> $ dig +nocomments +nostats +nocmd +noquestion -t dnskey . > trusted-key.key $ dig +topdown +sigchase  nox.su
> but it gives me ";; DSset is missing to continue validation: FAILED" error while processing the whole hierarchy of zones.

> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Generated by NetworkManager
> domain router
> search router
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
> nameserver 78.46.213.227

Checking your two name servers, 8.8.8.8 (google-public-dns-a.google.com) doesn't appear to offer DNSSEC validation, and 78.46.213.227 (rms.coozila.com) doesn't respond to my query at all.

A known-good publicly accessible DNSEC-validating recursive resolver is available at bind.odvr.dns-oarc.net. If I run "dig @bind.odvr.dns-oarc.net nox.su +dnssec", I get an AD (authenticated data) flag returned for the A record with IPv4 address 50.16.193.159. This is a prima facie indication that DNSSEC is working for nox.su. The "+topdown" option isn't available to me (bind 9.9.0rc2 version of dig).

Jeffry A. Spain
Network Administrator
Cincinnati Country Day School