cannot resolve oppedahl.com from uspto.gov domain

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Fri Feb 3 14:32:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 02:12:43PM +0000, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Bill Owens:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 01:55:12PM +0000, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >> These nameservers:
> >>
> >> dns2.oppedahl.com.      172800  IN      A       208.109.255.50
> >> dns1.oppedahl.com.      172800  IN      A       216.69.185.50
> >>
> >> return SERVFAIL for EDNS0 queries.  COM contains a signed delegation.
> >> This configuration is not supported.  It seems that BIND produces
> >> a failure even if DNSSEC validation is not enabled for the view.
> >
> > How odd. . . it doesn't look that way from here:
> >
> > [littledebian:~] owens% dig oppedahl.com soa +norec +edns=0 @216.69.185.50
>
> The exact same command line results in SERVFAIL for me.
>
> Various protocol-specific traceroutes suggests that I'm hitting the
> Godaddy servers hosted close to Level3 in Washington DC.

Aha, the dreaded anycast. I didn't think to look for that since they were using oppedahl.com names for the servers. And indeed, my tcptraceroutes go to Chicago from one test machine, an unidentified location from the other. Sadly, they don't appear to do the hostname.bind or id.server trick (or I'm requesting it incorrectly).

I suppose this needs to turn into a trouble report to GoDaddy, though I wonder how hard it will be to find someone who would understand it. . .

Bill.