bind crash with max-refresh-time 0;

Miek Gieben miek at miek.nl
Fri Feb 3 10:05:44 UTC 2012

[ Quoting <uhlar at fantomas.sk> at 10:50 on Feb  3 in "Re: bind crash with ..." ]
> >Does this also stop a slave from checking when it receives a
> >notify? The documentation isn't clear on that.
>
> configure master not to send notifies then. Alternatively, you can
> deny notifies from master. But the first Mark's question is still
> important:
> What are you trying to achieve?

We were (are?) seeing a bug when using multiple masters. If during a zone
transfer a notify is sent, it looks like BIND aborts the transfer and
tries the second master. This second master is a spare standby and it
normally turned off. When BIND hits this second master it sees it
cannot do an axfr. BIND then (this is the bug) does not return to the
first master to finish (or restart) the transfer. It just sits until
the retry timer expires, which in this case is 15 minutes.

We notified ISC of this, but replicating this bug was hard and we
needed to go in production. (Sadly bind bugs aren't searchable on the
internet).

So to work around this I thought: kill the SOA timers (messing with the
zone is not an option) and only use notifies. But then bind crashes :)

 grtz,

--
    Miek