reverse zone of type forward when /28 subnet

Dmitri Tarkhov tarkhov at dionaholding.ru
Thu Dec 27 09:14:49 UTC 2012

Hi,
I've searched the list archives and Google and don't see anything
to answer my question subj.
we have let's say x.y.z.240/28 subnet and BIND 9.9.2-P1.
We want to have a master DNS without unnecessary extra functionality.
(Including no caching)

This is the named.conf with obscured addresses:
# cat /dns992/etc/named.conf
key "rndc-key" { ... };
controls { ... };
acl nameservers { A; B; };
options { directory "/var/named";
           allow-query { any; };
           recursion no;
           version "Some Server";
           listen-on { x.y.z.w; };
           pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
};
zone "company" IN { type master;
         file "company.dat";
         allow-transfer { nameservers; };
};
zone "255-241.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa" IN { type master;
         file "company.rev";
         allow-transfer { nameservers; };
};
zone "z.y.x.in-addr.arpa" IN { type forward; forward only;
         forwarders { intranet.1; }; };

//zone "z.y.x.in-addr.arpa" IN { type slave;
//        file "z_y_x_in-addr.arpa";
//        masters { A; B; };
//};

zone "localhost" IN { type master;
         file "master.localhost";
         allow-update { none; };
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN { type master;
         file "localhst.rev";
         notify no;
};

Direct resolving works fine. Our subzone is delegated from ISP properly.
dig +trace shows due CNAMEs and in general reverse resolving works as well.
But I want to achieve reverse resolving on our DNS itself.
It is a quite natural desire, to be self sufficient or at least pretend to be,
isn't it ...
The simplest way to achieve that would be to have a slave zone for the whole
class C network x.y.z.0/24 but the ISP don't allow zone transfer.
A can understand why transfers of direct zones are limited by security
reasons. But reverse zones do not contain any private subdomains or whatever.
There is nothing in the reverse zone that cannot be collected by simple
queries. And, BTW nothing to hide.
Well, another way would be to have a reverse zone for z.y.x.in-addr.arpa
of type forward with forward only clause and due forwarders.
But it doesn't seem to work. I've tried external forwarders including
8.8.8.8 + 8.8.8.4 without success and now stick with our internal dns
at "intranet/24".1
This internal dns produces perfect reverse resolving but only for internal
users, of course the "internals" acl includes the address of external dns.
It has this set of options:
options {
         directory "/var/named";
         forward first;
         version "not available";
         forwarders { A; B; };
         allow-query { internals; };
         allow-transfer { "none"; };
         allow-recursion { internals; };
         listen-on { intranet.1; };
};

What I have when performing reverse resolving at external dns is:
> x.y.z.k
Server:         x.y.z.w
Address:        x.y.z.w#53

** server can't find k.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa: REFUSED

and setting set d2 in nslookup v9.9.2 doesn't reveal anything
catching attention although I see that there is an attempt to
contact the forwarder.

trying origin "company.internal" (obscured as well)
recursive query
add_question()
starting to render the message
done rendering
create query 0x402a4010 linked to lookup 0x82168c0
do_lookup()
send_udp(0x402a4010)
bringup_timer()
have local timeout of 5
working on lookup 0x82168c0, query 0x402a4010
sockcount=1
recving with lookup=0x82168c0, query=0x402a4010, sock=0x402a5008
recvcount=1
sending a request
unlock_lookup dighost.c:3530
lock_lookup dighost.c:2328
success
send_done()
sendcount=0
check_if_done()
list empty
unlock_lookup dighost.c:2357
recv_done()
lock_lookup dighost.c:3053
success
recvcount=0
lookup=0x82168c0, query=0x402a4010
before parse starts
after parse
next_origin()

So for some reason the list is empty and recvcount=0 in the second
occasion.
 From the same shell, from the very same nslookup instance with
> server <local dns>
the reverse lookup is OK.

And of course I am more interested in some working solution than
digging in subtleties of traces provided that I don't need to
allow recursion and forward in general options section for
my external dns.

I look forward for any suggestions, working examples, corrections,
sources of indepth information. TIA.

--
Best regards,
Dmitri Tarkhov