"Short" domains...

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 18 01:38:05 UTC 2012

In article <mailman.906.1355760273.11945.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson at esri.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure quite how to properly describe this, and as a result my
> searches aren't turning up much....
>
> To support a legacy app, I need to have a domain defined called
> "selfservice" so I can support resolution of "www.selfservice".  Yes,
> no trailing .com, .net, etc.... ugly, but I need it for now.
>
> This domain actually lives on our AD servers, so I thought I'd do the
> following:
>
> zone "selfservice" {
>     type forward;
>     forwarders { adserver....; };
> };
>
> However, this doesn't work.  Queries just return the TLD servers for .
> as the SOA.  Querying the AD servers directly works fine.
>
> However, if I actually define a master zone:
>
> zone "selfservice" {
>     type master;
>     file "selfservice.zone";
>     notify yes;
>     allow-transfer { secondary; };
> };
>
> And explicitly define the A record I need, then queries for
> www.selfservice respond correctly.
>
> It's almost as if BIND prefers the less specific hint zone for "." over
> my forward zone definition for "selfservice" -- but not if I make it a
> master zone...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Am running BIND 9.8.2 on RHEL6.
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

Forwarders only get used when the server is recursing -- it goes to the
forwarders instead of the servers listed in the NS records of the zone.
It sounds like the legacy app is sending queries without the Recursion
Desired flag set.  Is the above server your caching server or
authoritative server?

You could configure the server as a slave for the selfservice zone.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA