Querying directly a nameserver works, while forwarding not

Daniele Imbrogino d.imbrogino at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:46:42 UTC 2012

I'm testing new configuration on VirtualBox following the advice of not
forwarding.
Furthermore, I exclude any reference to DNSSEC.

So, in these conditions and assuming an empty cache, if I query for a
remote domain name, my server should query a root-server and then iterate,
right?
Well, Wireshark shows me outcoming queries and incoming responses to/from
root-servers, but "dig www.apple.com" (for example) fails with a timeout.

"syslog" has a lot of "DNS format error ... non-improving referral" and
"error (FORMERR) resolving" entries.

This is my very vary basic "named.conf" file

options {
        directory "/var/cache/bind";
}

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};

zone "localhost" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.local";
};

zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.127";
};

I've also updated "db.root" from ftp.internic.net/domain/db.cache