DNS Blackholing

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Tue Dec 4 02:44:41 UTC 2012

We have found that RPZ works quite well for us.
We have 366825 names in our RPZ zone at present
and scaling thus far has been a non-issue.

John
John Hascall, john at iastate.edu
Team Lead, NIADS (Network Infrastructure, Authentication & Directory Services)
IT Services, The Iowa State University of Science and Technology

> On Dec 3, 2012, at 5:52 PM, rvandolson at esri.com wrote:
>
> > All;
> >
> > Am looking to do some DNS blackholing based on a pre-defined, dynamic list
(such as DNS-BH).  Am looking for feedback on approaches for this.

> > Sounds like automatically generating an includeable config file with zone e
ntries which point to a fairly bare zone definition file returning a honeypot I
P or some such thing is fairly commonly done.

> Others may offer different advice, but while that was a common way to do it i
n the past, a feature in most modern versions of  BIND nowadays is Response Pol
icy Zones.  Explaining them in full is beyond the scope of a simple mailing lis
t post, but a good starting point is vixie's blog entry on the ISC website here
: ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/dnsrpz/isc-tn-2010-1.txt

> > We have several resolvers (caching) servers, and am curious how others out
there handle those.  Do you set up each as a master or do the master/slave thin
g?  Presumably the former do avoid needless duplication of the bare zone file.

> See above.
>
> > In addition, how much memory is used by BIND for each zone definition?  We
currently have a fairly small deployment with maybe a hundred zones tops.  If w
e suddenly jump to 10000+ -- even if they are all very small, how much memory c
an we expect to be chewed up so we can plan ahead?

> With RPZ, you have a single zone instead of 10,000.  It shows promise and muc
h better scaling, as well as the ability to replicate your single policy zone v
ia standard AXFR/IXFR metrics.  SpamHaus is currently making some of their data
 available in this format: