Find all authoritative domains for a nameserver?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Dec 3 23:45:10 UTC 2012

Hi--

On Dec 3, 2012, at 3:30 PM, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:
> I don't know if there's an easy, or even moderately easy way to do
> this, but can one somehow figure out/get a list of all domains for
> which the nameserver is set to a given IP/server name?

It's easy enough to test whether a specific domain is being delegated
to your nameserver by checking WHOIS or asking for NS records for the domain.
It's also easy enough if you have access to the nameserver configs to
see which domains it is setup to be authoritative for.

However, since someone could delegate some.strange.subdomain.from.my.domain
to an arbitrary nameserver (ie, yours), there's no way of exhaustively
identifying these even if you check WHOIS or the root nameservers AFAIK....

> For reasons I won't get into, the people who register the domains are not the same
> as the people who run the DNS servers (me) and occasionally the
> domains I have zones defined for in my nameservers do not match the
> WHOIS records. Normally, that problem becomes pretty obvious because
> nothing works right, but it does generate a lot of logging for failed
> queries to the nameservers. I guess that would be one way to tell when
> someone has made us authoritative for a domain but not had us create a
> zone file, but is there a way to get a list somehow?

Registrars are expected to have both a billing/admin contact and a
technical contact; make sure that people who expect you to make their
domains work put you as the tech contact, and you will at least get
notified when they register new top-level domains.

Regards,
--
-Chuck