truncated responses vs. minimal-responses?

Gilles Massen gilles.massen at restena.lu
Mon Dec 3 08:41:56 UTC 2012

On 11/30/2012 01:30 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 28.11.12 18:38, Tony Finch wrote:
>> Yes it does. For example, have a look at responses to queries for
>> dotat.at
>> in mx for various buffer sizes and observe that RRsets are dropped but
>> the
>> TC bit is not set.
>
> Nice to see. I'm seeing recommendations to set minimal-responses to avoid
> truncation problem anywhere and I'd like to have documented somewhere that
> it just won't help...

Truncation happens only if the ANSWER section is too large, and as
minimal-responses only affects AUTHORITY and ADDITIONAL the effect on
truncation should be null.

For UPD fragmentation it is an entirely different matter, of course. But
should default settings really be optimized to accomodate broken firewalls?

Gilles

--
Fondation RESTENA - DNS-LU
6, rue Coudenhove-Kalergi