Expiration TTLs

Paul Romano ittech68 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 02:10:56 UTC 2012

Chris.
Thanks for the correction on the term TTL instead of timer.  The engineer I inherited this environment from has the refresh set to 40 minutes and the zone expiration set to 2 hours.  The explanation I got was that since we are authoritative for AD we want ensure that some kind of scavenging is in place.  Your explanation suggests that the refresh time is strictly survivability and will not force an update if the serial numbers do not increment enough to implement the refresh.
Am I stating this correctly?  Any suggestions?
Thanks
Paul