No subject

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Dec 2 00:46:39 UTC 2012

In message <20121130125333.GC9412 at fantomas.sk>, Matus UHLAR - fantomas writes:
> On 29.11.12 18:34, Jose Manuel Delgado G. wrote:
> >about the other question, as to reduce the response time of my server when
> >the domain does not exist?
>
> it is not the "domain does not exist" problem. This is the "the only
> nameserver for a domain times out" problem, which can be only avoided either
> by fixing the server or making it answer. Since there is just no workaround,
> the only thing bind can do is to query (and timeout).

> >2012/11/29 Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com>
> >> You've got two nameservers for the domain per WHOIS as:
> >>
> >>    Domain servers in listed order:
> >>       NS1.VIDEOLINEDVD.COM
> >>       NS2.VIDEOLINEDVD.COM
> >>
> >> ...but they don't have A records setup.  Your nameservers must have A
> >> records:
>
> actually, they have glue A record in .com zone:
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> videolinedvd.com.       172800  IN      NS      ns1.videolinedvd.com.
> videolinedvd.com.       172800  IN      NS      ns2.videolinedvd.com.
>
> ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> ns1.videolinedvd.com.   172800  IN      A       72.167.164.36
> ns2.videolinedvd.com.   172800  IN      A       72.167.164.36

But when the recursive nameserver asks for the AAAA records for
these two nameservers it gets told that the name is not valid and
as the zone is more authorative than the parent the glue records
get wiped out.  The recursive server then has no address records
for the nameservers and cached records that say that there are no
records at those names.  Further lookups fail for that zone.

The zone is improperly delegated.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC