ho to filter hundeds of domains ?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Aug 31 15:13:04 UTC 2012

On Aug 31, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:

>>> We are in much the same situation in Norway. All the biggest ISPs use
>>> a list of child porn domains to be blocked, specified by the central
>>> police authorities. *In principle* implementing this is voluntary for
>>> the ISPs. In practice there is significant pressure to do so.
>>>
>>> Both the police and the ISPs are fully aware that blocking this at the
>>> DNS level (the ISP recursive resolvers) won't prevent somebody who is
>>> determined. But the police (and the government) still want this done.
>>>
>>> I sometimes suspect their view is of the type "We must do something.
>>> This is something, therefore we must do it."
>>>
>> Nothing is better than paradise.
>> A ham sandwich is better than nothing.
>> Therefore, a ham sandwich is better than paradise.

This may be true, if the ham sandwich includes chutney, and (possibly) cheese.

>>                             - Kevin
>

> And you won't be able to afford that ham sandwich if you've been terminated from your job because you didn't follow the law.  We all have things in our jobs that we don't want to do but we do them anyway.  All the ridiculous suggestions and snarky comments aren't helping the original poster who mentioned these sites were considered illegal and is looking for other ways to do this.

Yup. DNS blocking can usually be circumvented, but, for many people, this is a feature, not a bug.

Assuming that the original poster **really really** wants to block his users may be a false assumption. Often what folk are looking for is something that provides legal protection. While it may be fun, assuming the OP is an anti-gambling, anti-free-speech censorship loving nazi is unfair.

> Oscar

There are only 10 types of people in this world -- those who understand binary arithmetic and those who don't.