ho to filter hundeds of domains ?

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Thu Aug 30 16:24:53 UTC 2012

Rick Coloccia<coloccia at geneseo.edu>  wrote:

>add this line to /etc/named.conf
>
>include "locallyblockeddomains.zones";
>

>contents of locallyblockeddomains.zones:
>
>// This bind zone is intended to be included in a running dns server f
>a local net
>//
>// It will return a 127.0.0.1 for the domains listed as malware
>//
>//  This is for locally determined domains we want blocked
>//
>//
>zone "r.im"  {type master; file "/etc/namedb/blockeddomain.hosts";};
><snipped many more out>
>zone "emailupgrader.clan.su" {type master;file
>"/etc/named/blockeddomain.hosts";};
>

>this is the /etc/namedb/blockeddomain.hosts file:
>
>$TTL    86400   ; one day
>
>@       IN      SOA     ns1.geneseo.edu coloccia.geneseo.edu (
>                         2007112601      ; serial
>                         28800           ; refresh  8 hours
>                         7200            ; retry    2 hours
>                         864000          ; expire  10 days
>                         86400 )         ; min ttl  1 day
>
>                 IN      NS      ns1.geneseo.edu.
>                 A       127.0.0.1
>*               IN      A       127.0.0.1
>*               IN      AAAA    ::1
>; This zone will kill all traffic to a listed domain
>

>Done.
>
>Add domains you want blocked to the locallyblockeddomains.zones file.

In my previous job, the cyber-security created a list of domains
from various sources.  They tested the file on a test BIND server
before loading the file into the AFS shared file system.  I had a cron
on my DNS servers that ran every 10 minutes that checked for a new file,
and if it saw one, it copied the file to the local disk and ran "rndc"
to reload the new config file.
--Barry Finkel