Version statement...

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Aug 19 22:12:57 UTC 2012

In message <77C3C98B-001A-43C3-A56A-E672D4640262 at starionline.com>, Jeff Justice
 writes:
> Jeremy, it is exactly as you asked.  Apparently the "real" version is display
> ed using certain commands, and the "user-defined" version is displayed in oth
> er places.
>
> I have since learned that you get different version output from dig, named -v
> , and a dns query and the version statement only affects specific outputs.  S
> o it depends on how it's queried.  That doesn't seem clear in the documentati
> on unless I missed it...thus my confusion.

I really don't know what is "unclear" about what version does?

            <varlistentry>
              <listitem>
                <para>
                  The version the server should report
                  via a query of the name <literal>version.bind</literal>
                  The default is the real version number of this server.
                  Specifying <command>version none</command>
                  disables processing of the queries.
                </para>
              </listitem>
            </varlistentry>