Convice Bind to listen on IP alias with a range of IPs.

michoski michoski at cisco.com
Mon Apr 30 23:36:04 UTC 2012

On 4/30/12 2:56 PM, "Augie Schwer" <augie.schwer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I must be doing something wrong, because what I want to do doesn't
> seem that difficult.
>
> I have a range of IPs bound to a local interface:
>
> lo:1      Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:10.0.0.1  Mask:255.255.255.224

This isn't a /27 CIDR range, it's one IP alias with the wrong netmask.  :-)

IP aliases should generally have a 255.255.255.255 netmask, and you'd need
to configure aliases (ifcfg-lo:0, ifcfg-lo:1, etc.) for each IP in the range
you want to listen-on.

> And I want to convince Bind to listen on sub-set of the given range (
> 10.0.0.2 for example ), yet when I configure that IP:
>
> listen-on { 10.0.0.2; };
>
> Bind won't listen on that interface:

Yes, indeed, only 10.0.0.1 is up according to your ifconfig output.  Once
you've fixed that, you should be able to use an IP range in your listen-on
statement as needed, for example:

listen-on { !10.0.0.1; 10.0.0/24; };

The BIND ARM shows you listen-on's full syntax:

http://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/cur/9.7/doc/arm/Bv9ARM.html

Good luck.

--
Men use thought only to justify their wrong doings,
and speech only to conceal their thoughts.