Convice Bind to listen on IP alias with a range of IPs.

Augie Schwer augie.schwer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 21:56:56 UTC 2012

I must be doing something wrong, because what I want to do doesn't
seem that difficult.

I have a range of IPs bound to a local interface:

lo:1      Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:10.0.0.1  Mask:255.255.255.224

And I want to convince Bind to listen on sub-set of the given range (
10.0.0.2 for example ), yet when I configure that IP:

	listen-on { 10.0.0.2; };

Bind won't listen on that interface:

"named[15035]: not listening on any interfaces"

Bind has no problem listening on 10.0.0.1 however, so there must be
some configuration option I am missing.

Any help is appreciated.

augie at augnix:~$ named -v
BIND 9.7.0-P1