DNS faileover

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Apr 11 17:34:35 UTC 2012

On Apr 11, 2012, at 10:26 AM, mfla wrote:
> We use 3 BIND each is configured as Master.
> Each domain is configure with 3 NS records according to the above 3 BIND.
> What happens for end users when tthey try to access the domain but one of the BIND server is down ?

Assuming all of the clients were starting with cold caches, one out of three requests would go to the down'ed server, and experience a delay of a few seconds until the client resolver retries and talks to a working server instead.

After that, most caching nameservers and end-user clients will generally ignore the downed server in favor of one that works....

Regards,
--
-Chuck