BIND Lameness

Keith Burgoyne keith at silverorange.com
Tue Apr 3 15:38:14 UTC 2012

On 04/03/2012 11:14 AM, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article<mailman.419.1333434497.63724.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>   Chuck Swiger<cswiger at mac.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 4/2/2012 10:37 PM, Keith Burgoyne wrote:
>> [ ... ]
>>> I've recently replaced the master server at 24.222.7.11, and am now running
>>> bind 9.7.3.
>>>
>>> My question is: I keep seeing log entries like
>>>
>>> Apr 2 23:24:17 clementine named[5870]: lame server resolving
>>> 'comuna.silverorange.com' (in 'silverorange.com'?): 24.222.7.12#53
>>> Apr 2 23:24:01 clementine named[5870]: lame server resolving 'veseys.com'
>>> (in
>>> 'veseys.com'?): 24.222.7.12#53
>>>
>>> and the list goes on. I don't get a lot, probably a few a minute. But where
>>> do
>>> they come from?
>>
>> Does the following help:
>>
>>     http://www.dnsvalidation.com/reports/4f7a96b37d79ee3769000012
>>     http://www.dnsvalidation.com/reports/4f7a97bd7d79ee3d4200000c
>>
>> ns3.silverorange.com seems to be down, and the other two nameservers being
>
> Since the log message is specifically about ns1, how could ns3's status
> be relevant?
>
>> listed aren't responding to TCP port 53.
>
> Why would clementine be trying TCP?  His server appears to support
> EDNS0, so it shouldn't need it.
>
> I'm not saying this isn't a problem, but I don't think it would cause
> this symptom.

@Chuck: I've sorted out the TCP issue with ns2. I'm not sure why the
tests are failing for ns3, though. I can dig successfully on it from a
variety of networks, using both TCP and UDP. I re-ran the tests, and ns1
seems to check out.

@Barry: The previous sysadmin set some of our NS entries on some of our
domains in no particular order. As a result, some of the domains list
the master (ns1.silverorange.com) as the second or third entry. Not sure
if that matters. I'm correcting that now, and will know if that makes a
difference a little later.