resolv record without domain

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Sep 29 13:42:49 UTC 2011

On Sep 29, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Gabriele Gabriele wrote:

> Hello dear mailinglist,
> I have a little problem with my bind configuration, I explain you the situation
> I have a domain example.com with many record and every things work well, now I need to resolv an name of my servers without specify the domain,
>
> for example;
>

> name. IN A 1.1.1.1
>

> but if I try to resovl name by nslookup the dns told me the record Non-Exist...
>
> ie there a way to do it?

Not 100% sure I understand the question, but what I think you need is a search path.

In a linux box, add:
search example.com
to resolv.conf.

On a mac it's under Network Preferences, Interface, Search Domains.
somewhere similar on Windows.

You can also hand this out via DHCP:
option domain-search "example.com";