updating Bind made it slower

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Mon Sep 26 07:48:46 UTC 2011

Hi,

I just updated a couple of my DNS-servers from the rather old version 9.4.1 to a newer version 9.8.0-P4.

After this I have problem with outages. Looking into it, I found that the time for a "rndc reload" has nearly doubled!

I've made tests before the update and I have still a few old server with the exact same config & hardware to compare it. Updating from version 9.4.1 to version 9.8.0-P4 brought a increase for "rndc reload" from 25 seconds (yes, I have a lot of zones and quite big ones) to 45 seconds (these numbers are from a slower server, Sun T2000, for my faster servers I have no old servers to compare the numbers).

Is this a knwon issue with the newer versions of named? Is there something I can do about it to tweak the numbers?

Tom.