A few (too) simple questions about DNS records

Yanek hostmaster at abetternet.net
Thu Sep 22 22:57:58 UTC 2011

Le 21/09/2011 08:44, Stephane Bortzmeyer a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 02:55:08AM +0200,
>  Yanek <hostmaster at abetternet.net> wrote
>  a message of 42 lines which said:
>
>> 1/ What is the bind record format for the zone itself?
> Strictly speaking, it is not the BIND format but the standard format
> (RFC 1035, section 5). However, not all name servers follow it
> (standardizing the input file format is regarded as a bad idea, today)
> and, anyway, it is underspecified so problems occur even when name
> servers try to follow it.

OK, Stéphane, thanks for the welcome summary here.

>> mydomain.tld.                                 IN      A       1.2.3.4
>>
>> Am I wrong?
> This line is correct.

Perfect; thank you. I faced a few bind problems about resolving the zone
itself (not some host record) but i think that I now fixed the problem.
BTW, is it me or

@                                 IN      A       1.2.3.4

Could handily replace that record?

>> 2/ What is the bind format for a SPF record, eg:
> Again, this is standard, not BIND-specific. RFC 4408:
>
> 3.1.1.  DNS Resource Record Types
>
>    This document defines a new DNS RR of type SPF, code 99.  The format
>    of this type is identical to the TXT RR [RFC1035].

Perfect, clear and easy to understand :)

>> 3/ What is the bind format for a DKIM record, eg:
> RFC 4871, section 3.6.2.

That's let's obvious, but I think that I'll post here if I can't get it
to work :)

Thanks again :)