DNS-cache with custom gTLDs

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Sep 22 09:15:32 UTC 2011

On 22.09.11 10:01, Drunkard Zhang wrote:
>Oops, I misunderstood. But I want to resolve this problem: take
>news.qq.com for example, I DID saw that it's unresolvable to one group
>(they returned NXDomain), at meantime it's no problem to another
>group, and "dig news.qq.com +trace" returned correct answer on both
>group. It seems like it's just a temporary failure, but I want to
>correct. Any other choices?

We have told you already. Id server returns NXDOMAIN, then the host
name does not exist and you have nothing more to try. unless you break
your DNS clients which is dangerous thing to do.

news.qq.com.            86400   IN      NS      ns-os1.qq.com.
news.qq.com.            86400   IN      NS      ns-cnc1.qq.com.
news.qq.com.            86400   IN      NS      ns-cnc2.qq.com.
;; Received 174 bytes from 125.39.202.108#53(ns4.qq.com) in 5037 ms

news.qq.com.            7200    IN      CNAME   www.qq.com.
www.qq.com.             300     IN      A       60.28.14.190
www.qq.com.             300     IN      A       125.39.127.22
www.qq.com.             300     IN      A       125.39.127.25
www.qq.com.             300     IN      A       60.28.14.149
;; Received 111 bytes from 60.28.1.157#53(ns-cnc2.qq.com) in 5244 ms

this is the error: news.qq.com. has a delegation NS in qq.com zone and
is CNAME in news.qq.com. - that is invalisd, because CNAME cannot be
used

qq.com seems to delegate *.qq.com to those same servers:

*.qq.com.               86400   IN      NS      ns-os1.qq.com.
*.qq.com.               86400   IN      NS      ns-cnc1.qq.com.
*.qq.com.               86400   IN      NS      ns-cnc2.qq.com.

and they provide CNAME for 'news' (and maybe others).

the qq.com zone is broken. There's nothing to fix on your side.

>>> Another problem: there's a lot of resolution on dns-cache querying
>>> a.root-servers.net, is it safe that i hijack a.root-servers.net to my
>>> own DNS? If it's safe, I can cut down queries to a.root-servers.net by
>>> millions of times per hour.
>>
>> If you're getting a lot of recursive queries for a.root-servers.net, you
>> have a misbehaving client that you need to track down and vaporize.
>>
>It's an ISP, hard to track down every one, I just want to suppress it
>that the misbehaving can't go further. Is it safe to hijack on
>dns-cache?

no, it is not. If it's an isp, they should track the broken client.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.