One IP in multiple zones

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Sep 21 20:51:17 UTC 2011

One thing we do is create a single "alias" zone with generic information in it to have multiple zones all go to the same IP.

Typically the main zone we'll put in its own zone file and have named.conf associate that zone with that zone file.

For other zones we tell named.conf to point to the alias zone file:

Something like:
@               IN SOA  ns1.example.com. techuser.example.com.  (
                        2011091902      ; serial
                        10800           ; refresh
                        3600            ; retry
                        604800          ; expire
                        86400 )         ; Minimun TTL
;
; Name Servers
;
                IN NS   ns1.example.com.
                IN NS   ns2.example.com.
;
; Mail Servers
;
                IN MX   10      mail.example.com.  ; Primary MX BH
                IN MX   30      mail.example.com.  ; Primary MX BH
;
; Addresses
;
;
@               IN A    192.168.1.1
;
www             IN A    192.168.1.1
;

Any domain in named.conf pointing to this alias zone will be substituted automatically for the "@" seen in this file whenever a lookup occurs.

So if named.conf sent examplestore.com to the alias file it would see that examplestore.com and www.examplestore.com are both at 192.168.1.1.

If named.conf also sent examplesite.com to the file then it would see that examplesite.com and www.examplesite.com are both at 192.168.1.1 as well.

As noted by someone else you should only have one PTR record (we keep that in a separate arpa zone) that points to your primary domain.

Note that in the above the NS (name server) and MX (mail) records point to your regular mail and name servers in a primary domain and are not relative to the alias domains like the www is.