Problems with nic.it

Torsten Segner torsten at segner.eu
Tue Sep 20 14:03:50 UTC 2011

Am Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:20:12 +0200
schrieb Lucio Crusca <lucio at sulweb.org>:

> Hello *,
>
> I'm new here though I've been using bind for about 10 years. I've just
> transferred a domain under the .it TLD for the first time.
>
> Here in Italy we have nic.it that regulates the .it domain names registrations
> and transfers.
>
> The domain transfer went ok, and now I have access to the control panel of the
> domain where I can set the NS records. I'd like to set those NS records to a
> Linux box running bind9 (9.7.0.dfsg.P1-1ubuntu0.3).
>
> However nic.it is refusing to change the NS records, because the new receiving
> nameservers are failing some automatic checks nic.it performs before changing
> the NS records. My hosting provider (the one where I transferred the domain)
> should tell me exactly what checks are failing, but, being the first time I
> have such problems, I don't know how long they will take to give me those
> informations. I've waited for 4 days until now. Hence I wonder if there
> existed any public DNS checker that could check a DNS which is not the NS
> pointed server yet, so that I could check the new DNS myself before submitting
> a new NS record change and going through the hassle of waiting nic.it
> automated checks, eventual failure and assistance from my hosting provider.

Hi Lucio,

Registry dns checks can be somewhat tricky at time.
These are the tests performed by Registro.it

3.1.2.6 Checking the functionality of the nameserver
The verification phase of the configuration of the nameservers associated with the domain
name takes place after the registration of the domain name itself in the Registry Database.
The procedure for the control of nameservers analyzes the hosts associated with domain
names registered in the Registry Database that are in inactive/dnsHold and executes the
appropriate query (i.e. queries to the nameserver) to verify that it is actually operative. In
particular:

- there must be at least 2 (two) authoritative nameservers for the domain name, and
they must correspond exactly to those found in the registration of the domain name;

- the IP addresses of hosts in the registration of the domain name must correspond to
those actually associated with them in the DNS;

- the domain name cannot be associated with a CNAME record;

- the name of the nameserver specified in the SOA record for the domain name cannot
be a CNAME;

- the names of the authoritative nameservers for the domain name cannot be
CNAMEs;

- if there is an MX registration it cannot be associated with a CNAME;

- if, during the checking procedure, at least one nameserver returns the following
	o Not responding
	o Not reachable
	o Not running
	o Non-existent domain
	o Host not found
	o Server failure
	o Query failed
the procedure returns an error;

- all hosts in the registration must be authoritative for the domain name registered.

Hopefully this will help.

Ciao
Torsten