Problems with nic.it

Lucio Crusca lucio at sulweb.org
Tue Sep 20 07:20:12 UTC 2011

Hello *,

I'm new here though I've been using bind for about 10 years. I've just
transferred a domain under the .it TLD for the first time.

Here in Italy we have nic.it that regulates the .it domain names registrations
and transfers.

The domain transfer went ok, and now I have access to the control panel of the
domain where I can set the NS records. I'd like to set those NS records to a
Linux box running bind9 (9.7.0.dfsg.P1-1ubuntu0.3).

However nic.it is refusing to change the NS records, because the new receiving
nameservers are failing some automatic checks nic.it performs before changing
the NS records. My hosting provider (the one where I transferred the domain)
should tell me exactly what checks are failing, but, being the first time I
have such problems, I don't know how long they will take to give me those
informations. I've waited for 4 days until now. Hence I wonder if there
existed any public DNS checker that could check a DNS which is not the NS
pointed server yet, so that I could check the new DNS myself before submitting
a new NS record change and going through the hassle of waiting nic.it
automated checks, eventual failure and assistance from my hosting provider.

Is there such a thing?

TIA
Lucio.