Query regarding NS record

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Sun Sep 18 14:09:46 UTC 2011

Are you talking about recursive clients failing over?

Or other nameservers trying to talk to yours, non-recursively?

Recursive clients don't use NS records at all and you need to approach
the failover problem in a completely different way (e.g. relying on the
client failing over from one resolver IP address to another, or
implementing an Anycast solution).

If you're talking about nameserver-to-nameserver traffic, then just
publish multiple NS records for the relevant zone(s) and the
nameserver-selection algorithm embedded in every known
iterative-resolver implementation will take care of the load-balancing
and failover; to summarize, faster-responding nameservers will be chosen
over slower-responding ones.

                                     - Kevin