Want to know if there is any way to add custom RR type.(like ip & ipv6)

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 18:43:24 UTC 2011

> But just for the sake of convenience, is there a way to rename
> TYPE<#> to something that I want?

If you dig (pun not necessarily intended) into the source of BIND you
can actually change the source so that `named' can read your type from a
zone master file and `dig' displays it however you wish.  The way this
is implemented in the BIND source is via a set of rather clever/complex
macros.

As Warren said though, you'll have to be very careful here, and it will
only be useful to *your* implementation. Say you create a type called
XXYY, if I query your server I'd see the TYPEnnnn representation and not
XXYY.

        -JP