slow non-cached quries

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sun Sep 11 15:18:07 UTC 2011

>> On 09.09.11 19:31, TMK wrote: >We have find the reason why our
>network analyzer report that bind is >responding to a.root-server.net
>in 30 sec.

Oh, does gmail rewrap lines in incoming messages? In the same stupid
way as Outlook does? Can you please turn it off?

On 09.09.11 22:34, TMK wrote:
>A.root-server.net is query being sent from some of our clients.

Are they asking for IP Address of A.root-server.net?

>> who is sending those packets? Is that your BIND?

>Like I said it is being send from some infected customers to our cache dns

If they are sending queries to your DNS cache, they can not affect
where will it send further queries

>> >Just one question why doesn't the bind drop such packets.
>>
>> apparently it does and that's why it's so slow...
>
>No it doesn't the capture shows it has responded to every and packet of
>those but dut to having the same source ports and the identification I'd the
>traffic analyzer is unable to correctly link the requests with the replies.

same source port and identification? Do any answers come back? Coulr
you please provide sample of tcpdump/wireshark logs to show at least
2-3 outgoing and a few of incoming packets?

>All those packets are from source port 3037

What is the destination port?
Does your BIND lie behind some proxy, filter or firewall that can
affect source port?
Or, does your BIND have configured port 3037 for outgoing queries?

Note that BIND versions released in last 3 years randomize source ports
unless they are told not to do so (which is very bad idea, unless
someone does that for them).

REALITY.SYS corrupted. Press any key to reboot Universe.