question about forward

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Sep 2 07:33:09 UTC 2011

On 02.09.11 14:52, JudahXIII wrote:
>when i set my dns server (via bind) as "forward only" server, i set two
>destination dns addresses.

do you run bind server as forward only? why not use those forwarders
directly?

>now, when the first destination dns server is down, will my server still
>send requests to it?

because even if it's down, it may come up once. BIND does try
ocasionally

>when does my server send request to the second one?

BIND does prefer server that responds faster => when the first comes
down, bind should start preferring another one, unless it's unreachable
too.

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.