Master and slave on same host

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Oct 11 21:20:21 UTC 2011

In message <4E94AB4F.9020402 at chrysler.com>, Kevin Darcy writes:
> On 10/11/2011 4:05 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >> If one view or the other communicates exclusively with other devices on
> >> the same link, you could probably get away with using an IPv6 link-local
> >> address, which is likely already present on your system (if you're
> >> running a modern OS), and is probably "invisible" to the other apps
> >> you're running on the box, and thus wouldn't require them to be
> >> reconfigured.
> > Ah. no luck. It is RHEL 6.1, but had ipv6 explicitly removed during deploym
> ent.
> > I take it its a pre-req to have different ip's, so I will work around this.
> Bad decision on the deployment option, IMO. Not sure even what you mean
> by "removed", since it's deeply integrated into all modern networking
> stacks. Either you severely crippled your networking subsystem, or it's
> not as "removed" as you were told it was.
>

>                                              - Kevin

To answer the original poster's question.  Use TSIG as has already
been pointed out.  The following change makes doing this much easier
as it allows you to send to multiple views by having multiple
address/key pairs specified in also-notify.

Mark

3109.   [func]          The also-notify option now uses the same syntax
                        as a zone's masters clause.  This means it is
                        now possible to specify a TSIG key to use when
                        sending notifies to a given server, or to include
                        an explicit named masters list in an also-notfiy
                        statement.  [RT #23508]

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org