DNSSEC not populating parent zone files with DS records

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Oct 4 19:30:43 UTC 2011

Raymond Drew Walker <Ray.Walker at nau.edu> wrote:

> In testing, this pipe sets up the following for nsupdate which fails:

Sorry, I forgot the TTL command. Adjust its value as you require...

  dig +noall +answer dnskey $child |
  dnssec-dsfromkey -f /dev/stdin $child |
  (echo "zone $parent"; echo "ttl 3600"; sed 's/^/update add /'; echo "send") |
  nsupdate -l

> Am I also missing somewhere in the RFC where NS records of children zones
> need be populated in the parent? Is this something that has changed with
> the addition of DNSSEC?

No, it has always been an error. See RFC 2181 section 6. DNSSEC just makes
the breakage more obvious.

Tony.
Fisher: Southwesterly 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8. Rough or very rough.
Showers then rain. Moderate or good.