Choosing max-journal-size

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 23:33:37 UTC 2011

With a mixture of small and large zones, signed and unsigned, choosing
sensible values for max-journal-size can become rather tedious (unless
one is prepared to to say "disc space is cheap, make them all <BIGNUM>").

What I would really like is an option that discards increments applied
sufficiently long ago - the expire time for the zone being an obvious
choice. But I do see that the current structure of the journal file
would make that hard to implement.

Second best would be the ability to say something like

  max-journal-size 64K-plus-50%-of-the-zone-file-size

(the syntax subject to negotiation!) to provide automatic scaling
according to the size of the zone.

Do other people have this problem? Any other ideas?

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk