sub-domain setup

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Nov 28 19:10:22 UTC 2011

Dan McDaniel <dan at dm3.us> wrote:

> I'm setting up a new DNS server. We have two offices linked by a VPN.
> I'm trying to decide whether to have everything under a single domain
> (example.com) or to split them into sub-domains (office1.example.com,
> office2.example.com).

If your DNS is mostly static and your cross-site network is not strictly
subdivided, it's probably easier to have a single master that slaved at
the secondary site. If you have dynamic DNS (e.g. DHCP for office
computers) each site should have a local DHCP+DNS setup with a master zone
for that site. Whether each site slave's the other's zone probably depends
on how strict are the firewalls between the sites.

Tony.
Sole, Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea: Southerly, veering westerly later, 6 to gale
8, occasionally severe gale 9, perhaps storm 10 for a time later. Rough or
very rough, becoming high in west Sole. Rain or squally showers. Good,
occasionally poor.