split horizon and zone transfers to secondary DNS servers

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 07:35:39 UTC 2011

> May I transfer *views* rather than zone description files?

No. That's why it is called "zone" transfer. :)

> May I transfer two zone description files for a single zone to a
> single server?

Again no. (See previous thread on your request to serve two zone files
for the same zone in the one view; same rules apply here.)

> Or should I use separate secondary DNS servers for internal and
> external zones?

That depends a bit on your setup. Judicious use of views with ACLs
could help you solve your problem regarding the zone transfers, but you
may feel more comfortable with separate servers.

        -JP