Puzzeling about IPv6

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Sat Nov 19 19:23:19 UTC 2011

If you are concerned about a repeat of the IPv4 address exhaustion problem, this is a different issue. The 64-bit IPv6 interface identifier has to be unique for each device on an IPv6 subnet. Even if you choose the IIDs randomly for, say, 1000 devices, the probability of a duplicate is very low. There are actually 62 bits available, not counting the universal and group bits. The probability is 1 - ( 2^62 x 2^62-1 x 2^62-2 x ... x 2^62-999 ) / ((2^62)^1000) = 1.08 x 10^-13. See "Brithday Problem" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem.

IPv6 address exhaustion would be related to the remaining 64 bits of the address, which identifies the subnet. Ignoring for the moment that not all of this is unicast address space, you still have on the order of one subnet per square centimeter of the earth's surface. I guess this may become a problem, for example, when we are assembling things like houses and cars out of nanobots.