nanny (was Re: bind-9.8.1: INSIST(! dns_rdataset _isassociated(sigrdataset)) failed)

Jeremy C. Reed jreed at isc.org
Thu Nov 17 21:24:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Phil Mayers wrote:

> It might be good if bind were able to re-start itself, rather than dying
> outright (e.g. re-exec the process) but that is dangerous too; it's better
> done by an unrelated supervising process.

In the bind9 tarball's contrib directory there is a simply "nanny" perl
script. Basically every 30 seconds it checks if PID still exists and
does a dig. If no PID, it starts named. If dig fails, it kills the
process and starts named. And waits 120 seconds before checking again.

I am curious if any users of the nanny.pl script (or similar parent) had
any crash but didn't notice it.  (Maybe look at logs to see if named
started.)

Also what other types of nanny scripts do you use? (I already saw other
emails with a few suggestions.)