Port number in A record in zone file

Brian Wilson bfwilson at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 17 15:10:35 UTC 2011

On 11/17/11 08:54 AM, Bill Owens wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 03:41:54PM +0100, Aleksander Kurczyk wrote:
>>> Why would you run a dns server on a non standard port? There's no way
>>> for clients to query via non standard ports.
>> I would like to make a experimental configuration simulating a few BIND servers on one PC (PowerMac G4 400 Mhz :) ), without virtual machines.
> So would I, but the only way I know of to do this is through some form of VM. I've seen a very nice setup using KVM and that's what I'm playing with so far, though it's a spare time effort and I haven't made a lot of progress. . .
>
> Bill.
If you happen to have the IP addresses, why not just use the standard
port on multiple IPs on one machine, then use the 'listen-on' for each
instance to point at the individual IPs?  If you don't have the IP
addresses available to do that, then I think you're back to VMs.

cheers,
Brian

Brian Wilson, Solaris SE, UW-Madison DoIT
Room 3114 CS&S            608-263-8047
brian.wilson(a)doit.wisc.edu
'I try to save a life a day. Usually it's my own.' - John Crichton