Syncing DNS zones with different names

Chris Balmain bind-users at wtf.net.au
Tue Nov 15 07:19:11 UTC 2011

Let's say I have two domain names, d1.com and d2.com, and I want to
synchronise all records underneath them (one-way sync, that is). So if I
create an A record www.d1.com pointing at 1.2.3.4, www.d2.com is also
automatically created, with the same value. So it's almost like a
master/slave relationship, but the slave zone has a different name to the
master.

Let's assume the two zones will be hosted on the same set of nameservers, so
even the SOA and NS records will be identical between them.

I've been googling, but haven't found anything. Does anyone know if this is
natively possible with Bind 9, or will I have to hack a script together to
do a transfer from the d1.com zone and parse the data to build an equivalent
zone file for d2.com?

- Chris