Subdomain Issue

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Nov 9 22:17:57 UTC 2011

On 11/9/2011 4:59 PM, trm asn wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
> <uhlar at fantomas.sk <mailto:uhlar at fantomas.sk>> wrote:
>
>     Now I have only one question:
>

>     On 08.11.11 20:27, trm asn wrote:
>
>         The moment I have done the "rndc reload example.com
>         <http://example.com>", the domain and all
>         subdomain were became not resolvable.
>

>     what does the named's log say?
>
>     --
>

> Is there any thing wrong if I declare my zone like this as below...
>
> $TTL 300
> @       IN      SOA ns4.example.com <http://ns4.example.com/>.
> postmaster.example.com <http://postmaster.example.com/>. (
>                                 2011110806      ; Serial Number
>                                 10800           ; Refresh after 3 hours
>                                 3600            ; Retry after 1 hour
>                                 604800          ; Expire after 1 week
>                                 300 )         ; Minimum TTL of 1 day
> ; Name servers
>         IN      NS ns4.example.com <http://ns4.example.com/>.
>         IN      NS ns2.example.com <http://ns2.example.com/>.
>         IN      NS ns1.example.com <http://ns1.example.com/>.
> *test    IN    NS ns1973.hostgator.com <http://ns1973.hostgator.com/>.
> test    IN    NS ns1974.hostgator.com <http://ns1974.hostgator.com/>.*
>         IN    A    203.39.45.19
>         IN    MX mail.goole.com <http://mail.goole.com/>.
> www        IN    CNAME example.com <http://example.com/>.
> a        IN    A    203.39.45.20
> b        IN    A    203.39.45.21

Yeah, that's likely to be a problem. Those "test" lines have
(inadvertantly?) renamed an A record and your MX record from the name
"example.com" to the name "test.example.com", and then "hid" them under
the delegation for test.example.com (since all non-glue records are
served from the child zone, not the parent; those records would only be
visible on a zone transfer).

Hopefully you understand that in master-zone syntax, leading whitespace
"inherits" the last non-whitespace owner name. That's why those 2
records got implicitly renamed, since putting an owner name of "test"
above them caused them to inherit that name instead of "@". As a general
rule, you want to put all of your apex records at the top of the zone
file, and add new stuff at the end of the zone file, so as to completely
avoid such whitespace-inheritance "accidents".

                                                             - Kevin